Monday, April 1, 2013

32 years ago I was born-again today

On this day at 9pm in 1981, I gave my heart to the Lord - 32 years ago. I was an engineering student at UCT, staying in College House. My close friend Bernard Klingenberg, who always kept a bible next to his bedside, led me to the Lord.
It was a Friday evening and we had machine drawing prac on a Friday. We had finished our usual steak, egg and chips supper in the res dining room and I had returned to my room to work on my engineering drawing homework. This weeks drawing had been a particularly difficult exercise and together with my maths, applied maths, physics and chemistry, work was piling up. It was set to be a long hard working weekend. I had discovered that studying engineering was a tough choice, but I was determined to press on. Hitting a road block with my drawing, I went to Bernard's room for help. The bible on his bedside table seemed to draw my attention. Then I heard myself saying to him, I want to be a Christian like you. Bernard looked up at me from his desk, smiled and suggested we go for a walk outside where it was quieter. There was a lot of loud music and partying going on as usual in our res, after all, it was Friday night.
We walked towards the Elma football field. Reaching the field, it was quiet and no one was in sight. We walked onto the field and as we reached the middle of the field, knelt down to pray and ask God to forgive my sins and repented. With Bernard's help, I asked Jesus to become my saviour. When I stood up, I looked across the field towards the trees around the edge, everything seemed brighter, the stars, the moon, the trees, the grass, my vision seemed to be enhanced. The burden I had felt lifted and now feeling light, almost as if I could float, a supernatural peace and joy filled my heart. I knew something had changed. These scriptures in Titus describe what it was:
Titus 2:11-14 (TLB)
For the Grace of God has been revealed, bringing salvation to all people. And we are instructed to turn away from godless living and sinful pleasures. We should live in this evil world with wisdom, righteousness and devotion to God, while we look forward with hope to that wonderful day when the glory of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ, will be revealed.
He gave His life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and make us his very own people, totally committed to doing good deeds.
3:3-7
Once we, too, were foolish and disobedient. We were misled and became slaves to many lusts and pleasures. Our lives were full of evil and envy, and we hated each other.
But when God our Saviour revealed His kindness and love, He saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy.
He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit. He generously poured out His Spirit upon us through Jesus Christ our Saviour. Because of His Grace, He declared us Righteous and gave us confidence that we will inherit eternal life.
The following daily reading from Bill and Marsha Burns is also so apt as it encourages us to press on with our walk with the Lord daily:
Faith Tabernacle
April 1, 2013
THE TRUMPET by BILL BURNS:
I would have you, My people, to understand that resurrection power is available to you – the power of the kingdom to bear. The power of the authority of Christ has been given to you; use that authority; use that power. Fight the good fight of faith. Overcome all the works of the enemy that are against you. Live in freedom, liberty, and the pursuit of your joy in the kingdom of an Almighty God, who has made the way for you. All you have to do is walk in the way that has been prepared. Walk in truth. Walk in the glory of a great salvation. Walk in My presence day to day remembering the price has been paid. Do not forget the benefits that you have been given. For, the Lord says, what I have acquired and what I have laid hold of, I did for you. Get it spiritually. Press on! Never give up, never sit down, and do not allow yourself to be discouraged. I say, push toward the mark of the high calling in Christ, the Lord of glory.
SMALL STRAWS IN A SOFT WIND by MARSHA BURNS:
Draw close to Me. Let us be one, with no separation or division between us. My desire is that your heart and mind would come into complete unity with Me, says the Lord, for this is the place of absolute righteousness and peace. You can choose to position yourself to be in this perfect union so that you are never in opposition to My will. John 17:21 That they all may be one, as you, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.
_______________

God is faithful and I love this scripture from Jude 1:24
New International Version (©2011)
To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy--

No comments:

Post a Comment